Howard Stern may be known for his crass and inappropriate talk show full of sexually driven content, but as Ragan.com brought to my attention, there are some important PR lessons we can learn from the notorious DJ. Here they are:
1. Keep your focus, and put on a good show.
2. Give the crazies their chance.
3. Make sure everyone who works with you is simpatico.
4. When you do get that big chance, go all the way.
5. Don’t let management hold you back.
6. Don’t follow a boring format.
7. Don’t rely on research.
8. When you’ve got the competition’s attention, you’re doing it right.
9. Always be yourself.
10. You can make mistakes and still be a rockstar.
I have bolded the rules that stuck out the most to me. You know what they say, go big or go home. Rule #4 means a lot to me right now as I prepare to leave for my internship in New York City. This will be the farthest I’ve been from home and the familiar and I can’t wait to get to the city that never sleeps. I plan to take full advantage of the opportunity presented to me. Rule #9 – always be yourself. This holds so true not just for individuals but for brands. As I have discussed before, brands cannot try to be something they’re not if they want to be authentic and truly connect with their audience. Stay true to yourself and everything will fall into place just how it should. And finally, rule #10. In class, they always tell us it’s okay to make mistakes. They will help you learn and prevent you from making the same mistake twice (hopefully). Bouncing back from mistakes will help you be consistent and honest with yourself and your audience.
I never thought I would be saying this but hey – thanks for the advice, Howard!